Wednesday, April 16, 2008

So where is the unwelcome friend?

I took Skoobi out for her walk this morning. I wasn't really paying attention, just looking around the yard and trying to wake up when I looked down...



Snake skin in and off itself doesn't bother me, but it was just the startle factor of not expecting it that kind of helped me shake off the "just woke up" groogies. I have no idea where Mr Snake went, but I really hope he doesn't feel he has to show me his beautiful new skin. There's a big difference in looking down and seeing shed snake skin and looking down and a seeing brand new skin on a live, slithering snake (or even old skin for that matter). Especially when you have flip-flops on... And even more especially when you know super-dog will want to go forward and investigate it while all whimpy-master wants to do is run in the other direction!

And if you hadn't noticed, it's a pretty long snake!


**Update a couple hours later...**

I hate Mr Snake.  He did decide I needed to see his pretty new skin.  I guess if I liked snakes, I would say he was quite pretty.  Very black, very long, very fast.  Skoobi didn't see him, thankfully.  We were just outside  and about to go over to the side of the house when he stuck his pretty little head up out of the grass about 10 feet ahead of us.  I froze, then with no shame, I freaked out.  "SKOOBI GET IN THE HOUSE!" as I drag her to the door - poor thing doesn't even know what's happening.  All she knows is that if I want to get in the house that fast, there must be something good going on outside!  :)   

Now I know black snakes are our friends and they can't hurt us and (according to my neighbor I just called to tell him about the snake) eat the poisonous snakes.  I just don't like snakes...  especially if they are long, and super especially if they are fast.   I just hope it doesn't get in the house.  That's never fun.  

I'd love to be sitting outside with Skoobi now.  It's a beautiful day.  And Skoobi really hasn't gone to the bathroom yet.  I really need to teach her to pee in the tub...  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain--you've been to my parents' house, you know all the dead stuffed things my Dad keeps around the place. Imagine waking up with a dead snake just propped on your dresser, staring at you. Or coming home from college, opening the bedroom door and finding an enormous Canadian Goose, wings outstretched, lying on your bed. I just closed the door and wondered why I'd come home since they'd obviously given my room away!

Keep an eye out for those Florida critters--they're not land mines but it's the closest thing we've got!

germaine said...

I am not a fan a sneaky snakes that creep up on ya... If I see them coming, I'm A-OK but I am known to skreech when they sneak up... sort of like the killer chipmunks that trap me inside my office....

Love ~G