Monday, May 05, 2008

You Ain't Gettin' My Donut...


We try to take Skoobi to the river for a nice long walk 3-4 times a week. It's about a 7 minute drive to the inlet and is much more scenic than the neighborhood. We went Saturday morning, and as usually there were quite a few squirrels running around. Skoobi saw one before we did (as she let us know by doing her new 'squirrel dance and whine') - it was really blended in to the tree it was sitting by. As we got closer, my mom and I finally saw it and noticed it was eating something. The squirrel kept one eye on us and the dog, and one eye on the food she was munching down on. We finally got too close and the squirrel made a break for it up the tree - with a whole donut in it's mouth! It was so funny watching the squirrel scramble in circles up the palm tree with a whole donut in her mouth! We just laughed and laughed - we couldn't decide if Skoobi wanted the squirrel or the donut more! Ad that squirrel was NOT letting some well fed spoiled dog even get a sniff of her precious donut. It was really cute.

Besides walking the dog, I've been cleaning the two bedrooms I'm living in. They aren't "dirty" but they have turned into storage units for me and my brother and sister. I found a dress I haven't seen in 4 years, some CD covers I knew I didn't throw away, my birth certificate and some medical papers I've been looking for for years. The good news is, I think I'm on my fifth garbage bag of stuff. That's liberating. I also have a lot for an upcoming garage sale and a pile for Goodwill.

I've also been volunteering a couple days a week at my mom's school. I helped at the book fair last week. My proudest moment was when I talked a boy out of buying some plastic bracelets and into buying a book. My least proud moment was when I tried to give kid change from a twenty when he only gave me ten. But he immediately pointed it out "Uh... I only gave you a ten." So, I gave him a free pencil since he was honest. I really enjoyed interacting with most of the kids. This week, I am observing/helping out in an autistic classroom for the morning on Wednesday and then on Thursday I'll be helping the kindergarten classes decorate cakes for Mother's Day. That one should be fun!

This coming month I'll be filling out job applications, visiting friends and supporters, and doing some babysitting. I'll continue to clean out these rooms, do some volunteering and a bit of traveling to visit people. I'm attending a good Bible study and trying to do some reading. It's still very strange being back, but I decided to take it one day at a time and "be still and know He is God..."

1 comment:

germaine said...

sounds like you are acclimating quite nicely... praying for you!!

Love ~G