Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day and Fay...

The first day of school was Monday. I think it went very well. I enjoyed my first day as a teacher. It seems that I have many good students. However, we have yet to have second or third day of school! While Fay was only a tropical storm, she was full of water, and our county is flooded. Thankfully, we don't have any damage, but some friends of ours, only about a mile away, have a foot of water in their house. Most of the streets are impassable. We don't know if the schools will be able to open tomorrow since the people who need to go out and inspect them (like my dad) aren't even able to get to most of them.

One thing we need to work on is getting Skoobi to go potty in-between feeder bands :) She did fairly well, but did need to go out once in the middle of some good rain and wind. I'll put some pictures below for your viewing pleasure. As soon as that's done, I need to go and revamp all my lesson plans. No matter when we head back to school, it's going to be the first day all over again!

Just a quick video from our back window yesterday afternoon

(the video wouldn't upload, so I'll try again later)



The back yard beginning to flood... The neighbor's was already flooded.




This plant is supposed to be standing straight up, but it looks like a giant stomped on it!



More backyard pics


Skoobi loved the wind
The front of the house usually floods with more water than this, but it's still raining so you never know.

While not liking the river or ocean, Skoobi seemed to have a fascination with the really big puddles.


Skoobi's nemesis checking out the storm from inside her cozy room


The canal next to our house rarely has water in it... you can't really tell, but it's about 3/4 full... probably about 4 feet of water or so.


The backyard water started to receed this morning, but has kind of stalled. It will probably be there a few days, beckoning many mosquitos as it stands. Uugh.

Skoobi had to go outside at 11 last night. There was just so much water, the fire ants were floating around everywhere, and both Skoobi and I got bitten. The fun just never ends :)

4 comments:

germaine said...

craziness!! man o man... praying for you!! a little TS Fay won't get you down.... ;) I am so excited for your new job!!!

yea, yea... I am working on a post trip update... no, really...

Love ~G

Mom on the Go said...

yikes! what a mess! good luck with your second 1st day of school. :)

Angelina said...

Congrats on your first day!! what are your students calling you? :) miss gallick, ms. gallick, hey teacher....

Jana said...

1. That's a lot of freaking water.

2. I'm glad your first day went well.

3. I'll try to be better about visiting your blog without having the RSS feed.

4. I promise I'll call soon.