Saturday, November 01, 2008

It's been a while... (scroll down for pics)

I really would like to keep up on the blog. I love teaching, but the last thing I want to do is come home and get on the computer. No promises on how much I'll post, but I will start posting more in the coming weeks and months.

I wanted to show off my new haircut... I don't think my hair has been this short since I was five... but I like it. I needed something new, so why not?



Teaching seventh grade has been great. I'm really enjoying getting in to the groove of my new career. Every day is an adventure... not quite as adventurous as Bosnia, but everyday has it's own surprises!

Skoobi is doing well... I'll put a new picture of her up here next time I sign on. I actually have a video I want to upload, but for some reason, it won't take. Let's just say she is quite fond of Dunkin' Donuts!

Besides teaching school, I've been busy at my new church attending a ladies Bible study on Tuesdays and then teaching middle school girls on Wednesday nights. It's a lot of fun, and I am so glad they asked me to involved with the youth. I am team teaching with a wonderful lady named Liz. Her and her husband took me out on their boat a couple weeks ago. It was SO much fun! I can't wait to go again. I put some pictures down below.

Liz does a ministry to the nursing home on Mondays. A few weeks back, she met a very downcast lady at the home... as they began talking, she told Liz her family was from Serbia! She has never actually been there (she's in her 70's, I think), but her family spoke the language when she was growing up. It was very fun to be able to go to the home to speak to her before we went on the boat. My language is so rusty at the moment, so it will be nice as I stay in contact with her to practice some. Liz and I plan on cooking up a little Eastern European something before we go next time. That should be fun!

In September, mom celebrated her 60th birthday. We decorated her office, and had a really nice day for her. No one had to wonder how old she was since we put the "Hoppy 60th birthday" sign outside her door! Yes, it's "Hoppy" since she collects frogs, remember.

A few weeks ago, two of my friends from Bosnia were here - Tiffany and Sladjan! It was really fun to catch up with them. We went to Downtown Disney, and had a nice and relaxing afternoon.

The most fun thing that has happened in the last two days was after 31 years of living in the same house, in Florida, by canal... we finally had an alligator in the yard! OK, it wasn't more than two feet long, but we finally had an alligator in the yard! It was so cool!! Mom was out walking the dog for me (I tend to come home from work and fall asleep on the couch for an hour) when she suddenly was at the window, yelling in a loud whisper " YOUR CAMERA, GET YOUR CAMERA NOW! THERE'S A GAToR OUT HERE!" And I'm thinking "Save my dog...! And yourself, of course!" :) So I grabbed the camera and ran out to find the sweet gator I aptly named Fred. He is pictured below... we haven't seen him since, but I'm more concerned about meeting Fred's Momma! :)

OK, well, I am back to blogging! I hope some of you are still out there! Drop me a line and let me know!



Just a couple pictures from my day on the boat. I loved being out on the river and the ocean. The ocean was very cool with all the waves. I would put a video on here, but it's kind of embarrassing hearing myself yelling "woohoo" the whole time :)

Tiffany and Sladjan show their true colors!


We had fun on Mom's birthday! It's great working at the same school together.


The sunrise over our canal and dunes the other morning... apparently this is where Fred-the-Gator was born!

Can you find Fred-the-Gator's eyes? Look smack dab in the middle...

There is Fred right before he went in the water. I tried to video his move, but my camera battery died! AARGH!

And here is a close-up of Fred... what a cutie!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Still reading your blog. :)

Jure

Angelina said...

Fabulous haircut!! Great pics all around?
How far are you from Orlando?
I think a visit is in order since I am going to be in the same state next month:)
love you!!

The Teez said...

Love the cut. I wish I coulda met Fred...I lived in that canal growin up and the only real excitment was when me and Earl almost set it on fire. Love ya, see ya soon.

germaine said...

you look beautiful! and yes... we do need to talk soon!!! So glad I checked again... the past 2 weeks have been crazy for me... I guess I haven't looked since October!! whoa!

Love ~G

Anonymous said...

Love the new haircut and the update! I always check once a week to see if you've done any new postings.

Here is a link to photos of Gabriela on our facebook account:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=50860&l=957df&id=656931822

Tiffini

Jackie said...

Glad I checked in too! Wow, a gator in your yard. I would have been so freaked out. We don't have many critters up here in New England. I am better with spiders in the house since I've been to Africa a few times. Things are so much smaller here! So, cool you got the pics. And I was thinking the same thing about saving Skoobi! : )

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I can't say what we did when we found a gator in our yard as it's most likely illegal. Glad for your sake that Fred is little.
I got your cell. I'll call sometime during Christmas break.
Love you. RL